Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Figured something out.

So I'm actually really glad I decided not to be a music or theater major. On top of the many reasons like lack of job opportunity (heck, there isn't all that much in terms of art either...) but for another reason. One of the ego.

Anyway. A few weeks ago I auditioned for and got into a ten minute play: one of many that would be happening all at once in a festival setting. Last night, I went to tech, getting ready to perform. I put on cool makeup for my part (which was not as exciting as it seems: the makeup was because my CHARACTER was just in a play. It had nothing to do with my role). anyway, here's how I got to look!

Coke addict Eyes :D


Anyway, My director said she cast she show in terms of lookalikes. So I was only cast for my looks. At tech, I scanned the room, and saw all the people socializing, and obviously I felt left out, but then I noticed something. There were so many girls. There were short, small brunettes like me, there were tall gorgeous girls, busty blond bombshells, fat girls, ugly girls, ditsy looking girls, even girls who looked like boys. I realized that if I had been in the theater department: I would just be another face. Another one auditioning, with the same skills as everybody else, and not even different in appearance. This isn't scarborough high school anymore, you're not one in a thousand. You'd be the same as all the other theater majors.

So I was so glad I decided on my art instead. Art isn't gender specific. I can draw something lovely and frilly and girly, or I can draw something horrifying or busty and slutty like a stereotypical guy. I can draw what I see and nobody can say which I am, or what I look like. Take that, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment